FIRE Nuts (Spicy Asian Mala Peanuts perfect for Chinese New Year)
Fire up those Nuts! These Sichuan spicy nuts are the perfect compliment for beer or a cocktail. They are different, delicious, and addictive! My ‘Spicy’ friends beg for them. Simple snack- powerful flavor! Great for parties, Lunar New Year, Chinese New Years Parties
These ‘Mala’ peanuts are a popular and growing snack in China. Originally found in the Chongqing and Sichuan regions, these nuts may leave you with a delightful tingling sensation on your lips. Like that first great kiss-but a lot more zing!
Nuts and tingling lips- I could really go down a rabbit hole with this one!
- 4 Sm-Med Dried Chillies(Arbol), seeded and snipped into small pieces
- ½ cup Cooking oil
- 1 Tsp Green Sichuan Peppercorns (Ground)
- 5 Bay leaves
- 1 Tsp Chinese 5 Spice powder
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 2 cups Raw Peanuts (blanched/ without skins)
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
Prepare Dried Chilies
- Cut the top off of the dried chili pepper
- Use scissors to open the chili pepper, and dispose of the yellow seeds
- Snip the pepper into small pieces over the wok
- Repeat with the remaining peppers
Prepare the Sichuan Sauce
- Add the oil, ground Sichuan peppercorns, Bay leaves, 5 spice powder, and Honey to a cold wok
- Add the nuts to the wok, and turn the stove to medium heat
- Stir the nuts frequently and cook for 8 minutes
- Turn the stove off, and continue to stir the nuts for the next 3 minutes
- Let the nuts cool in the spicy wok oil for 15 minutes
- Drain the nuts in a metal colander
- Salt the nuts
- Place the nuts on a paper towel to drain
- Serve with a Beer or a delicious cocktail
For delicious Asian Peanuts, purchase blanched, raw peanuts- the skins are already removed- and you are saved a long soaking/massaging process
Be careful with handling chilis. The natural capsaicin from the pepper activates a protein in your cells to sense heat- and may cause a stinging sensation. Consider wearing gloves and be sure not to touch your nose or mouth while cooking with peppers. Wash your hands well after handling.
Nuts fried in chilis: There are 6 different kinds of dried chilies. This recipe uses one of the hottest. If you substitute a milder chili, you may need to add chilies to achieve a similar flavor.
You are cooking with hot oil. Take care that the nuts are cool before you taste
Kosher salt can be substituted for sea salt.
Spicy Peanuts – Have some delicious beer nearby!
Chinese New Year Nuts: FIRE nuts are the perfect Chinese New Year appetizer, or Chinese New Year gift- January 27 2023 – Year of the Tiger
Nuts of HELLFIRE: Use 6 Small to Medium Chilis
Mix It Up:
Try adding a little orange or lime zest for a different twist
Consider topping some of your favorite dishes with Fire Nuts- Fantastic on noodle dishes or salads
Absolutely delicious on a Hot Fudge Sundae