FIRE Nuts (Spicy Asian Mala Peanuts perfect for Chinese New Year)
Fire up those Nuts! These Sichuan pepper spicy nuts are the perfect compliment for beer or a cocktail. They are different, fragrant, and addictive! My ‘Spicy’ friends beg for them. Simple crunchy snack- powerful flavor! Great for parties, Lunar New Year, Chinese New Years Parties
These ‘Mala’ peanuts are a popular and growing snack in China. Originally found in the Chongqing and Sichuan regions, these nuts may leave you with a delightful tingling sensation on your lips. Like that first great kiss-but a lot more zing!
Nuts and tingling lips- I could really go down a rabbit hole with this one!
- 4 Sm-Med Dried Chillies(Arbol), seeded and snipped into small pieces
- ½ cup Cooking oil
- 1 Tsp Green Sichuan Peppercorns (Ground)
- 5 Bay leaves
- 1 Tsp Chinese 5 Spice powder
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 2 cups Raw Peanuts (blanched/ without skins)
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
Prepare Dried Chilies
- Cut the top off of the dried chili pepper
- Use scissors to open the chili pepper, and dispose of the yellow seeds
- Snip the pepper into small pieces over the wok
- Repeat with the remaining peppers
Prepare the Sichuan Sauce
- Add the oil, ground Sichuan peppercorns, Bay leaves, 5 spice powder, and Honey to a cold wok
- Add the nuts to the wok, and turn the stove to medium heat
- Stir the nuts frequently and simmer for 8 minutes
- Turn the stove off, and continue to stir the nuts for the next 3 minutes
- Let the nuts cool in the spicy wok oil for 15 minutes
- Drain the nuts in a metal colander
- Salt the nuts
- Place the nuts on a paper towel to drain
- Serve in a beautiful small bowls
- Serve with a Beer or a delicious cocktail
For delicious Asian Peanuts, purchase blanched, raw peanuts – the skins are already removed- no need to soak. Blanched peanuts can be purchased in quantity at Costco.
Be careful with handling chilis. The natural capsaicin from the chili pepper activates a protein in your cells to sense heat- and may cause a stinging sensation. Consider wearing gloves and be sure not to touch your nose or mouth while cooking with peppers. Wash your hands well after handling.
Nuts fried in chilis: There are 6 different kinds of dried chilies. This recipe uses one of the hottest- spicy and numbing peppers! If you substitute a milder chili, you may need to add chilies to achieve a similar flavor.
You are cooking with hot oil to make the nuts delicious and crispy. Take care that the mala fried peanuts are cool before you taste
Kosher salt can be substituted for sea salt.
Sichuan Spicy Peanuts – Have some delicious beer nearby!
Chinese New Year Nuts: FIRE nuts are the perfect Chinese New Year appetizer, or Chinese New Year gift- January 27 2023 – Year of the Tiger
These Mala peanuts are vegetarian, vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free- Perfect for special dietary cuisine
Fire nuts can be stored for weeks in an air-tight container. This specialty food makes a great gift.
Always a good idea to ask about Peanut allergies…
Nuts of HELLFIRE:
Use 6 Small to Medium Chilis
Mix It Up:
Try adding a little orange or lime zest for a different twist
Consider topping some of your favorite dishes with Fire Nuts- Fantastic on noodle dishes or salads
Sprinkle some spice and crunch on a Hot Fudge Sundae- Amazing! My favorite snack
Can’t stop eating these. I like them amped-up- Used HELLFIRE recipe. Great with Beer