Sangria does not have to be sweet! In fact, our Sangria is dry and delicious- AND it is Kick A$$! Our Sassy Sangria starts with a Marlboro Sauvignon Blanc, bold Kentucky Bourbon and refreshing Ginger Beer. Sassy Sangria is smooth, and crisp with a wonderful depth of flavor. The perfect mix of white wine, Bourbon, ginger and fruit flavors. The result is an extra-refreshing summer cocktail that was made to be sipped poolside. This bourbon sangria recipe also makes perfect holiday cocktails and can easily be made in an extra large batch!
What is Sangria?
Sangria is a wine punch originating from Spain and Portugal. Sangria traditionally is a pitcher full of red wine, and fruit- often with other ingredients or liqueurs. It’s an iced drink that tastes sweet and fruity, and sometimes features added spice. The term ‘Sangria’ is derived from the Portuguese word ‘Sangre’ meaning ‘blood’ – referring to the dark color of the wine cocktail.
Why you’ll love Sassy Sangria:
- Crisp and delicious flavor- Tastes like summer in a wine glass!
- This is a gorgeous wine cocktail
- Unlike other Sangrias- it is not sweet/Easy to Enjoy
- Quick to make a batch and enjoy with friends
What is the best wine for a dry White Wine Sangria?
Be careful as you chose. You do not want a wine with too much bite or tangy vinegar flavor.
- Sauvignon Blanc- Marlboro
- Dry Riesling
Sweet wines like Moscato, heavy oaky wines like Chardonnay are not recommended for this recipe.
Be careful not to ice your Sangria too far ahead- You do not want your wine watered down.
Why a Bourbon White Sangria?
Because we LOVE Bourbon, and we loved the idea of a Bold, Fresh and Dry sangria. Red Sangria is sweet and heavy, and most white sangrias end up being sweet as well. We wanted a Sangria with ATTITUDE!
Is Kentucky Bourbon Special?
Yes it is. Kentucky has 68 distilleries as of 2018, up 250% in the last decade. More than 7.5 million barrels of Bourbon Whiskey currently sit in Kentucky Rickhouses. There are more barrels of bourbon in Kentucky than people! It’s not an accident that Kentucky Bourbon has become an International sensation.
There is a very specific set of standards to which all bourbon makers must adhere. The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits state that bourbon made for U.S. consumption must be:
- Produced in the United States
- Made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn.
- Aged in new, charred oak barrels
- Distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume)
- Entered into the container for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume)
- Bottled at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by volume)
Do you have Sassy friends?
What are tips for Making Bourbon White Sangria for a Party?
- Simplify. Rather than making multiple cocktails, Make Sassy Sangria your signature cocktail -it will create a delicious experience for your guests.
- Make a batch mixture ahead of time and chill. Your guests can immediately receive a cocktail at the perfect temperature.
3. Prepare your cocktail glasses ahead of time. Whether a wine glass or cocktail glass, you can have your glasses chilled, and garnished.
4. Set up your Bar or Self-serve Beverage Station. Just before the party you can pull out your ice bucket, your garnished glasses, and even pour a few cocktails for your first guests. Remember to have a picture of water, and some non-alcoholic options such as sparkling water, juice or sodas.
6. Be in the moment- Your friends want to see and enjoy you! Afterall, it’s your party.
Sassy Sangria – Bourbon White Sangria
National Sangria Day- December 20, 2023
- Wooden Spoon
Bourbon White Sangria Ingredients
- 375 ml Sauvignon Blanc Wine (½ Bottle)
- ½ cup Bourbon
- 1 tsp Minced Ginger
- 2 6.8oz Bottles Fever Tree Ginger Beer
- 1 Orange thinly sliced and halved
- ½ lb White grapes
- Split fresh figs- if available
Bourbon White Sangria Instructions
- Wash and slice fruit as needed
- Combine Wine, Bourbon, and Ginger Beer in a large pitcher
- Add ¾ of available fruit to the pitcher
- Keep ¼ of fruit available for individual glasses
- Add ice and fruit to Sangria glasses when you are ready to serve
- Pour Sangria in the Glass, Garnish and Serve