A Kentucky Derby inspired cocktail
After partaking in this refreshing punch based on the Kentucky Derby Oaks Lily recipe, you may have a bad reputation. This cocktail will sneak up on you, especially on a hot Derby-watching day.
“The Kentucky Oaks takes place at Churchill Downs the day before the Kentucky Derby. Rather than simply doubling up on juleps, the race serves its own signature cocktail to attendees. The light, refreshing drink takes its inspiration from the Cosmopolitan and features vodka, orange liqueur, cranberry juice, lemon juice, and simple syrup. So, it’s everything you want on a warm day.
The cocktail’s pink hue is a nod to the garland of stargazer lilies placed on the race’s winning filly, as well as the race’s association with breast cancer awareness. To support the cause, attendees often don pink attire, from suits and dresses to elaborate hats, and selflessly order Oaks Lillies throughout the day.”
- 24 oz Cranberry Juice
- 8 oz Lemonade (like minute maid)
- 8 oz Triple Sec or Cointreau
- 10 oz Vodka (we used 5 Sisters)
- 1 pint Blackberries (garnish)
- 2 Lemons (sliced - garnish)
- Combine cranberry, lemonade, orange liqueur, and vodka in a pitcher
- Serve over ice, and garnish with blackberries and a lemon slice.