Delicious Cocktail Hot dogs in Puff Pastry with Pancetta, Beer-Cheese, and Creamy Mustard Dip…
Good things CAN come in small packages!
Pigs in a blanket are a traditional and nostalgic appetizer that consists of small cocktail sausages wrapped in puff pastry. They are easy to prepare and a perfect bite-sized snack at parties and gatherings. The combination of savory sausage and buttery, flaky dough brings back the taste memories-a comfort food that reminds us of special times.
In the US, Pigs in a blanket are thought to have originated in the 50’s. Sausages in a blanket, or Sausage rolls in Europe go way back. It is unclear if the two are really connected- but both versions are beloved traditions
Try our fancy Pigs in a blanket, Teenie Weenies, because size DOES matter when it comes to flavor, and these tasty snacks deliver HUGELY in that department. Try them with our Creamy Mustard Dip and our Spicy Beer Cheese, Cheesy Bastard, Beer-Cheese Dip. Then Include our Love Bites Pretzel Bites , and you have our Fantasy Football Foursome!
Teenie Weenie Ingredients
- 1 14 oz Package Hillshire Farm Lil Smokies
- 1 17.3 oz Package Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ cup Fresh Parmesan
- 4 oz Diced Pancetta
Creamy Mustard Dip
- ⅓ cup Dijon Mustard
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- Dash Kosher Salt
Prepare Baking Sauce
- Crack eggs in small bowl and whip
- Add Cheese
- Stir well
- Fry Pancetta on medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until crispy. Drain
- Prepare a baking pan with parchment paper or cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Lay out 1 sheet of Puff pastry
- Cut pastry along the seams to make 3 pieces
- With a pastry brush, paint the puff pastry strips with the baking sauce
- Cut each strip down the middle, and then 4 equal cuts across (8 pieces per strip)
- Roll a mini hot dog in each puff pastry piece, Pinch the pieces together, and score with a fork.
- Place seam-side-down on a baking tray
- Brush the top of each roll with additional baking sauce
- Place pieces of Pancetta on top of the wrapped hot dogs
- Repeat the hot dog/pastry wrapping process with second envelope of puff pastry
- Place the tray in the oven for approximately 20 minutes at 375 or until the rolls are golden brown
- Place warm hot dog rolls on a serving tray
Creamy Mustard Dip
- Combine the Dijon, Sour Cream, Honey and Salt
- Pour in a serving dish
Our Pancetta Pigs in a Blanket are a great way to amp up your appetizer, but you could also use bacon bits, and create Bacon Pigs in a Blanket Puff Pastry.
No Bacon topping? Try Everything Bagel Spice Pigs in a Blanket- just sprinkle the spice on top of the egg wash.
Our Weenies in a Blanket are Lil Smokies Pigs in a Blanket- but you can substitute your favorite cocktail hot dogs
Instead of Smokies Pigs in a Blanket, Try small pieces of your favorite sausage- Sausage in a Blanket, or Sausage rolls
Celebrate National Pigs in a Blanket Day- April 24th, 2023