Easy Pretzel Bites made from Pizza Dough
These Love Bites may not be as much fun as the ones that leave hickeys on your neck, but they are made with love and leave no requirement for turtle necks.
Love Bites are the easiest pretzels you can make. Our Pizza Dough Pretzels are perfect for events or sports parties. Make an awesome Pretzel Charcuterie platter including our Teenie Weenies, Love Bites, Cheesy Bastard and our Creamy Mustard Dip.
Did you know that according to some accounts, pretzels were invented by a monk in the 6th or 7th century? The monk used the twisted shape of the pretzel to teach children the concept of arms crossed in prayer.
The modern pretzel originated in Germany in the early 19th century. It was traditionally made with a simple dough of flour, water, and salt. Pretzels quickly gained popularity in Germany and throughout Europe. They eventually made their way to the United States, where they became a popular snack and street food in every shape and variety.
The monk probably would not approve of our naming conventions- but I bet he would love how fast and easy soft pretzel bites have become.
- 1 13.8 oz tube Pillsbury Pizza Crust
- 12 cups Water (3 Quarts)
- ¼ cup Baking Soda
- 1 Egg
- Kosher Salt
Creamy Mustard Dip
- ½ cup Dijon Mustard
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- Dash Salt
Get ready for Baking
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Line baking pans with parchment paper
Shape the dough
- Open the pizza dough tube, and lay out on a cutting board
- Roll the dough lengthwise into a long tube
- Cut the dough roll into approximately 24 slices
- Roll each slice in your hands to make small balls. It is ok if the balls are not perfect. The imperfection gives them character
Prepare your Boiling Pot for Baking Soda Pretzels
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot
- Add baking powder (There will be a large bubbling reaction when you do this)
- Add 12 dough balls to the boiling water, they should float to the top after 1 minute.
- Use tongs to remove dough balls, allowing the dough balls to shed excess water over the pot
- Place each boiled dough ball on your baking tray
- Repeat the process to boil remaining dough balls
Finish topping your dough balls
- Mix 1 egg in a small bowl
- Brush egg on each dough ball
- Put Kosher salt in the palm of your hand to gently sprinkle salt on each dough ball
- Bake at 425 for approximately 15 minutes, or until golden brown
- Serve warm with Creamy Mustard Dip, and 'Cheesy Bastard 'Beer-Cheese Dip
Creamy Mustard Dip
- Mix Dijon Mustard, Sour Cream, Honey, and Salt
- Serve in small dip dish
These are simple DIY pretzels that don’t need additional yeast or rising time. We use Pillsbury Pizza Dough, but your favorite Pizza Dough can be substituted in this easy soft pretzel recipe. I often double the recipe – These soft pretzel knots disappear quickly at a party.
You can prepare the homemade pretzel bites ahead of time, cover and refrigerate. Pop them in the oven just before serving to maximize that fresh out-of-the-oven goodness
Left-over pretzel bites can be stored in the refrigerator and warmed the next day
This quick soft pretzel recipe is the start of a beautiful Pretzel Charcuterie Board- Love Bites, and Creamy Mustard Dip, Teenie Weenies, and the Cheesy Bastard Dip give you a great start. Add crackers, Apples, and Pears, and a few of your favorite vegetables