This homemade Chocolate Turtle recipe features caramel, rich Chocolate, Pecans and Sea salt. This delicious candy turtle is soft, chewy, and RIDICULOUSLY easy to make. No double boiler, No Bake- Even a novice can make these in under 20 minutes. So impressive- and a nostalgic favorite.
There is nothing like a Slow Poke. Just got to get that turtle out of the shell…. (Hopefully there is no ‘Reptile Dysfunction’!)
Yes…so Rude (Deliciously)
Why you will love this Pecan Turtle recipe
- Delicious These candies have been loved for generations for good reason. The perfect trifecta – Dark Chocolate and Milk Chocolate, Chewy caramel, and toasted Pecans. These homemade candies are better than the ones you would buy at a fancy candy store.
- Great for gifting Make a double or triple batch. Your friends and neighbors will love this delicious homemade turtle candy – Easy homemade Christmas candy.
- Simple 5 Simple Ingredients that are easy to keep on hand
- Easy The Caramel, and Chocolate are made in the microwave and so easy to assemble with the toasty Pecans, and a little sea salt on top. You will enjoy this recipe for Chocolate and Caramel Candy -Turtles
Origin of the Turtle Candy
The “turtle” originated in San Francisco during the early 1900s. Today the chocolate turtle is a trademarked candy from Chicago’s DeMet’s Candy Company. The chocolate candy with caramel and pecans was the creation of a candy chef named Louis Gordon Hooper.
Ingredients for the Best Chocolate Pecan Turtle Clusters Recipe
- Kraft Caramel bits
- Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Wafers
- Pecan halves (Toast the Pecans)
- Sea Salt
- Baking sheet
- Parchment Paper
- 2 Microwave-safe bowls
SO EASY TO MAKE AT HOME – Make Easy Chocolate Turtles
- Assemble toasted pecans on a baking sheet with parchment paper in a star or turtle shape
- Place Caramel bits in a microwave-safe medium bowl, and microwave caramel for 1 minute. Stir until smooth. (You can return to the microwave for an additional 15 seconds if the chocolate is not fully melted. Stir until well-blended)
- Place a dollop of caramel in the center of each pecan star/turtle shape. The caramel dollop should be large enough to connect all 5 pecans in the shape
- After the caramel centers are complete, melt the chocolate in the microwave in a separate medium sized microwave safe bowl for 1 minute and stir. (You can return to the microwave for an additional 15 seconds if the chocolate is not fully melted. Stir until well-blended)
- Place a smaller dome of chocolate onto the caramel, and dust with sea salt. Let the turtles set for an hour or two before you serve.
Make Homemade Chocolate Turtle Candy Recipe
- Parchment Paper
- 2 Microwave-Safe bowls
- 1 11oz Bag Kraft Caramel Bits
- 1 Tbsp Milk
- 1 10oz Bag Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate wafers
- 100 Whole Pecans Toasted
- Sea salt
Prepare Baking Sheets
- Use Non-stick Cooking Spray on two baking sheets
- Cover them with Parchment paper
Toast the Pecans
- Place pecans in a dry stainless-steel skillet over low-medium heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until they are a deep golden brown and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent uneven toasting or burning.
Assemble your turtles
- Assemble toasted Pecans in a star or Turtle shape
- Place Caramel bits in a medium microwave safe bowl., and heat in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave another 30 seconds, and stir until smooth. (You can microwave for 15 additional seconds and stir again if not fully melted)
- Place a dollop of Caramel in the center of each Pecan star. The caramel dollop should be large enough to connect all 5 Pecans.
- After the Caramel centers are complete, microwave the chocolate in a separate microwave safe bowl for 1 minute, and stir. (You can microwave for 15 additional seconds and stir again if not fully melted)
- Place a smaller dome of chocolate on top of the caramel, and dust the top with sea salt.
Chocolate Turtle FAQ’s
What does a turtle chocolate candy taste like?
The turtle is a decadent combination of sweet and salty, chewy, gooey and crunchy – Nostalgic flavor and texture in one very popular confection.
How do I toast pecans for Turtle Candy?
Should I use Chocolate Candy wafers or Chocolate chips in Homemade Turtle Candy?
Chocolate melting wafers are made to melt. Chocolate chips are designed to hold their shape, like in Chocolate chip cookies. Either kind will work for fudge. The quality of the melted chocolate is a more important variable.
Can I use a different type of nut in a Chocolate Caramel Turtle?
Of course you can use different nuts. However Turtle-lovers are adamant that ‘Turtles be made in a Turtle shape with toasted Pecans.
What is the difference between a Turtle and a Pecan Cluster?
Though these names are used loosely, Pecan Clusters typically do not use soft caramels. They are also more of a jumbled shape.
Are there other names for the Homemade Turtle Candies?
Homemade turtles may also be referred to as Pecan Delights, Pixies and Bear Claws. Some of the candies may not have the turtles look, but if they have the delicious Chocolate and Caramel Pecan ingredients- what’s not to like?
What type of Caramels should I use for Turtle Candy?
I recommend Kraft bits or Werther’s Baking Caramels. Look for unwrapped caramel to save on time.
How long do Chocolate Turtles last?
Keep your Homemade turtles in an airtight container with layers of wax paper between the layers of candy. Turtles will keep at room temperature for up to 3 weeks. You can keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Mix it Up
- Use your own homemade caramel
- Use white chocolate to add some flare on top of the chocolate
More Cuss Kitchen Chocolatey Goodness
Mother Fudger Enjoy the soul of Bourbon in this creamy Fudge with Toffee and Caramel… so Fudging Good! This Boozy Adult-only treat will be a favorite- and it is RIDICULOUSLY EASY to make. MICROWAVE in minutes.
Luscious Balls Savor our Adult-only boozy Chocolates! You will be able to taste the Bourbon flavor in our Luscious Balls- it makes them complex and interesting. A fantastic recipe you will want to share.
What the Fudge Biscoff Cookie Marshmallow and Pecan Fudge – an amazing cross-section between SUPER EASY and OMG DELICIOUS – combining the best of Rocky Road Fudge, Samoa Fudge, and S’mores Fudge … You’ll be saying… What the FUDGE?