Enjoy the soul of Bourbon in this creamy Fudge with Toffee and Caramel… so Fudging Good! This Boozy Adult-only treat will be a favorite- and it is RIDICULOUSLY EASY to make. MICROWAVE in minutes. Satisfy your sweet tooth in record time with this easy and decadent Chocolatey goodness. Where has this recipe been all your life?
Can’t eat just one? We knew you were a Mother Fudger! That is a banner, we Cussers wear proudly!
Where did Fudge get it’s start?
There are many early origin stories, but the earliest written evidence of fudge was in a letter written by Emelyn Bettersby Hartidge, a Vassar college student, in 1886. The letter talks about fudge being sold for 40cents per pound- a hefty price in the day! Emelyn got a copy of the recipe and started selling it herself, and by the end of the 1880’s fudge shops started appearing everywhere.
Fudge became immediately popular in tourist towns. These vacation fudge shops are still a popular tradition today. Mackinac Island, in Northern Michigan, is the self-proclaimed “Fudge Capital of America”. This small summer vacation island has more than a dozen fudge shops. Their fudge-loving tourists are affectionately called “fudgies”.
Holidays also became a great reason for fudge. Even in the late 1800s, fudge to made it to Christmas tables, an extravagance for a special time of year – and the tradition stuck.
As with many recipes, candy makers invented different versions, and fudge kept getting easier to make. Earlier innovations included substitutions like corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk. Today, delicious fudge can be made simply and fast- no tempering – no double-boiling. You can achieve Chocolatey decadence in less then 15 minutes.
What the Fudge are the ingredients?
- Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate wafers
- Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate wafers
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Caramel Sauce
- Heath English Toffee bits
- Sea Salt
- 8×8 Square Pan / Prepared Baking Pan/ Medium Microwave safe bowl
Why will I love this recipe?
- Fudge is easy – Just a few minutes in the microwave- No Baking
- Fudge is an indulgence that everyone loves
- Mother Fudger is the Best Fudge recipe ever!
- Bourbon Fudge is the perfect gift- and perfect for the Holidays
Bourbon Fudge Recipe
- 1 8x8 Glass Baking dish
- Parchment Paper
- Glass mixing bowl
- 10 oz Dark Chocolate wafers
- 12 oz Milk Chocolate wafers
- 14 oz Sweetened Condensed milk
- 2 Tbsp Vanilla
- ½ cup Bourbon
- 3 oz Caramel Sauce
- 1 Cup Heath English Toffee Baking Bits
- Sea Salt (To sprinkle on top)
Prepare your pan
- Spray your pan with non-stick cooking spray
- Place a sheet of Parchment paper on top of the spray, and make slits in the corners to make the paper fit well.
Mix & Microwave your fudge
- Add chocolate wafers to a medium glass bowl, and microwave for 1 minute, 30 seconds.
- Stir the wafers, and return to the microwave for another minute, Stir -
- Stir until you get a blended consistent chocolate mixture (You can microwave for another 15 seconds if your chocolate is not completely melted)
- Add the sweetened Condensed milk, and Vanilla- Stir
- Add the Bourbon and Stir until you have a blended and shiny mixture
- Pour into your 8x8 glass pan
- Add the toffee to the top of the fudge mixture
- Drizzle Caramel over the fudge in small lacey strings
- Refrigerate to set for 3 hours
- Use the parchment paper to pull the fudge from the 8x8 pan
- Cut into small squares with a sharp knife, or unflavored dental floss
- Serve and enjoy
Chocolatey Bourbon Fudge- The Mother Load
- Use Parchment paper as instructed when you make Bourbon Chocolate fudge – so it is easy to remove the fudge from the pan. This process is sure to make your creamy chocolate fudge look amazing. Easy Fudge -Easy Clean up Yay!
- This is a simple recipe that will take under 15 minutes to put together, but plan a full 3 hours for your fudgy chocolate to set. This is the best fudge – easy recipe – no-bake / no double boiler
- We did not use nuts, but you can use your favorite nuts – like Walnuts, Pecans or even cashews
- Cut the fudge into small squares. This Kentucky Bourbon fudge is so rich and decadent- less is more
- Keep your fudge pieces in an airtight container at room temperature. Storing in the fridge will dry the fudge.(see the recipe FAQs)
- Cuss Kitchen recommends real Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey in our Mother Fudger Recipe
- Homemade Chocolate Bourbon Fudge makes great gifts
FAQ’s for Microwave fudge
Why didn’t my microwave fudge set?
If your fudge turned out sticky, and didn’t set as it cooled, it may be that your fudge never reached a high enough temperature. Take no short cuts on time in the microwave. You can always use a candy thermometer to check. The fudge should reach a temperature of between 234 and 239 degrees Fahrenheit.
Are Chocolate melting wafers better than Chocolate chips in making fudge?
Chocolate melting wafers are made to melt. Chocolate chips are designed to hold their shape, like in Chocolate chip cookies. Either kind will work for fudge. The quality of the chocolate is a more important variable.
How should I store my fudge?
Fudge is best stored in an airtight container at room temperature. It will last 2-3 weeks
Why use Parchment Paper with Fudge?
With Parchment paper you can easily pull the fudge out of the pan. It makes it much easier for cutting, and easier clean up too. If you spray non-stick cooking spray before you put in the parchment- the paper grabs the cooking surface- and stays in place beautifully.
Is it ok to store my homemade fudge in the refrigerator?
No, the refrigerator will pull out the moisture and can leave you with crumbles. Of course, you should refrigerate for cooling and setting the fudge, but do not store fudge in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze Fudge?
Most fudge recipes freeze well. Fudge recipes with a denser texture tend to hold up better than fudge with a lighter texture. Wax paper or parchment between the pieces can help them from sticking together. Use an air tight container or freezer bag.
Where was Fudge invented?
The origin stories of fudge are murky. Whether it was an error in a batch of caramels in Baltimore, or a recipe that sprung up around Vassar college- we know one thing for sure. Fudge is an American invention. Loved, spread, and adapted throughout the years- it is a beloved nostalgic tradition. Fudge makes the world a happier place.
Other Great Chocolatey Cuss Kitchen Dessert Recipes
Indulge your taste buds…
Luscious Balls This is a very ‘HANDS ON’ recipe. Everyone appreciates Lucious Balls! Chocolate Bourbon balls with Hazelnuts, and Animal crackers- Oh My! Savor our Adult-only boozy Chocolates! You will be able to taste the Bourbon flavor in our Luscious Balls- it makes them complex and interesting. A fantastic recipe and treat. Our Luscious Balls offer up a powerful punch in a small bite. Make these no-bake treats as the perfect treat for your Bourbon-loving friends.
Guilty Pleasure Pie This recipe is a delicious Chocolate Ganache and Raspberry Pie -Oreo crumb pie crust and Chocolate Ganache topped with fresh raspberry topping. This rich and sinful dessert will leave you wanting more.
Pictures of this berry dessert are decadent, sinful, hedonistic…but not nearly as amazing as the taste of the pie itself