Make Caprese Toast
‘Sleezy Capreezy’ because this recipe will really get around. This Caprese Toast appetizer will tease and please- It may bring you to your knees!
You will love this twist on the classic Caprese. This delicious recipe is best for an appetizer or light meal. Make Caprese toast with juicy tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, pesto, kosher salt and pepper, with basil on top, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Additionally, roasted pine nuts top the sweet and cheesy goodness. Mama Mia!
Tomato, Mozzarella, Pesto, and Balsalmic Caprese on Toast…Sexy …. Sleezy …. and oh so easy!
What do I need to know about Mozzerella?
Mozzarella is a popular cheese that has been enjoyed for centuries. You may know Mozzarella as a stretched curd cheese, developed in Italy. You may also know that all varieties of Mozzarella are considered a type of pasta filata cheese, or “spun paste” -which pertains to a method of straining, boiling, and pounding a curd cheese. Today, the majority of mozzarella sold in the United States is produced domestically.
If you are a cheese lover or a foodie in general, you should care about mozzarella because it has a unique texture and taste that make it a staple ingredient in many dishes. Of course, it delicious on its own, with its soft and creamy texture, but it is also a versatile cheese that adds flavor and melts beautifully on various foods such as pizzas, sandwiches, and pastas. Additionally, the varieties of Mozzarella are amazing.
How many types of Mozzarella are there?
14 Types of Mozzarella
- Bocconcini “Bite sized,” bocconcini mozzarella is a 1-2 oz ball of cheese
- Burrata Soft, spreadable burrata is typically made with cow’s milk.
- Ciliegine Grape-sized balls of mozzarella
- Low-Moisture Mozzarella Often used for pizza, and “string cheese”
- Smoked Mozzarella “Affumicata” in Italian, has a golden, slightly tough exterior and a toasty/smoky flavor.
- Mozzarella di Bufala Mozzarella made from Buffalo milk. This cheese is protected by laws that require it only be made with a traditional recipe in specific regions of Italy.
Pecorella Sheeps milk Mozzarella
- Fior di Latte Mozzarella Made with all cows milk as opposed to a blended Mozzarella. It tends to be cheaper but less rich tasting.
- Ovolini These oval or egg-shaped cheese balls are made with buffalo, cow, or a blend of milks
- Perlini These pearl shaped Mozzarella balls are perfect in salads and cold pastas
Stracciatella (Not the soup or the ice cream) This stracciatella, is shredded is stretched into small bits of cheese. Often mixed with cream inside a ball of burrata
Treccia mozzarella is the classic cheese stretched into strips instead of balls and then braided.
Nodini Made by “knotting” mozzarella, this hand-shaped twist
Scamorza This specialty Mozzarella, is tied and hung to dry for one to two weeks rather than being packaged straight from the brine. This makes for a firmer, saltier cheese. Additionally, some scamorza are also quickly smoked over straw.
Easy Caprese Toast Recipe
- Baking sheet
- 1 loaf Artisanal Kalamata Olive Loaf, dense Garlic loaf, or Foccacia loaf
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- ½ cup Classic Pesto
- 1 lb log Mozzarella Cheese (unsliced)
- 4 small or medium Fresh Tomatoes
- 8 Fresh Basil leaves
- ¼ cup Balsamic Glaze
- ¼ cup Pignolia (Pine) Nuts
Prepare the Toast
- Place slices of bread on a cooking tray
- Brush each slice of bread with olive oil
- Spread a light layer of minced garlic over the oil
- Toast bread until crispy
Prepare Capreezy Ingredients
- Wash and slice tomatoes (as thinly as possible)
- Slice Mozzarella as thinly as possible
- Wash Fresh Basil, dry, and use kitchen shears to cut into small strips
Layer Your Capreezy
- Use a butter knife to spread Classic Pesto on each Toast slice
- Place a tomato slice at the left edge of the Toast slice
- Nestle a Mozzarella slice ¼ inch from the edge of the tomato slice
- Repeat until your toast is covered by alternating and slightly staggered Tomato and Mozzarella slices (typically 4-5)
- Repeat for all toasts
- Salt and Pepper generously
- Drizzle Balsamic Glaze on top of your Capreezies
- Chop your fresh Basil, and sprinkle it on top of your toasts
- Top with a few Pignolia Nuts
- Cover and hold until you are close to serving time
- Right before serving, Place Sleezy Capreezy toasts in the Air Roaster for 7-8 minutes- or until the cheese begins to melt
- Place on a tray and enjoy
- Sleezy Capreezys make a great make- ahead appetizer or light meal. First, Prep the ingredients, then Assemble the toasts, and cover. Finally, finish the last toast right before you are ready to serve. Voila!
- Watch your Capreezys on the final toast. You want to cook enough that the flavors infuse in the bread, and the melted Mozzarella, is golden-