Look up promiscuous in any dictionary, and you’ll see words like easy and fast. Not complimentary for people, (you know who you are,) but when it comes to recipes, easy is a very good thing! Promiscu-Puffs are wonderful pastry with filling and fruit.
We’ve come a long way from thinking that food had to be complicated and time-consuming to be worthwhile. Those bad old days were when a host wouldn’t serve anything that hadn’t first taken them through the seven dreaded stages of food prep. Ultimately including, fear, loathing, blood, sweat, tears, terror, and finally, a successful offering that you never wanted to make again.
Happily, those days have been replaced with an appreciation for both food creation and the spicy adult beverages that make entertainment fun. “Easy” may be subjective, but we can all agree that food doesn’t have to be challenging to be delicious. If we don’t make things easier for ourselves, who will? So go ahead, be promiscuous in the kitchen. I promise you’ll like it.
Puff pastry with filling and fruit
- 1/2 Package (Half of a 17.3 Ounce Package) Frozen Puff Pastry Sheets Thawed.
- 1 Egg Beaten
- 8 tbsp Lemon Curd Prepared lemon curd is available where jams are sold.
- 6 tbsp Cream Cheese Softened
- 6 tbsp Whipped Cream Thawed
- ⅛ cup Blueberries or raspberries Halved, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly butter 36 mini muffin cups. (Most mini muffin pans have 24 1½" cups - plan to bake in 2 batches.)
- Unfold the puff pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface & roll it into a 12" square, working from the middle out in all directions.
- Cut the pastry into 36 squares.
- Gently press the pastry squares into the muffin cups.
- Brush the edges of each with a beaten egg, then prick the centers with an X shape using a small fork.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Using the back of a small spoon, gently press down & rotate in the center of each hot pastry to form an indentation for filling
- Remove the pastries to a wire rack and cool fully.
- Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese in a small deep mixing bowl on medium speed until fluffy.
- Beat in the lemon curd into the cream cheese filling until smooth.
- Fold in the whipped topping.
- Spoon filling into each cooled cup, pushing it down gently to reach the bottom. (A small piping bag also works well.)
- Top each filled cup with half of a blueberry or raspberry, and refrigerate for half an hour until set.
Puff Pastry with filling and fruit
This dessert can be made ahead, covered & refrigerated for up to 24 hours. Or make the cups and filling a day ahead, refrigerate separately, and assemble just before serving.
Mix it Up
Make excellent flavor options for the filling can be made with Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread or Lotus Biscoff ginger cookie butter in place of the tangy lemon curd. They are also so flavorful in the flaky puff pastry
Serve a variety platter featuring all three: assemble 3 small mixing bowls, beat 2 tablespoons of cream cheese in each bowl, then add 3 tablespoons of lemon curd to the first, 3 tablespoons of Nutella to the second, and 3 tablespoons of Biscoff cookie butter to the third. Beat each until smooth, then fold in 2 tablespoons of Dream Whip into each bowl. Assemble per the recipe, garnish with halved berries, sliced almonds, or a dusting of powdered sugar.